Friday, 13 July 2012

Reflections From A Blogging Intern...

I know I've been a bit quiet on here recently, but I do have some excuses...

I got my results and, in high spirits, I scuppered off home for a week of R&R back home on the south coast; spending days with my Mum and our teddy-bear-like dog Bailey.
Except he'd had a haircut and looked more like a goat this time...

At the start of July, I returned to Nottingham and spent a lovely weekend with my Dad and his girlfriend. We checked in at a hotel in Eastwood & oh did I make full use of the leisure facilities! Think a gym, swimming pool, steam room, sauna...jealous yet?

Finally on Monday 3rd, I started my blogging internship at Skeleton Productions; a video production company in Nottingham. My main task was to contribute copy for their blog at Video Worth Sharing. But occasionally I managed to get some content on their official Skeleton Productions Website. Every blog had to be focused on video, acting as a marketing tool for the company.

It definitely opened up my eyes as to how writing can benefit businesses. I learnt about RSS feeds, how best to research content and I'm pretty sure I have now mastered GoogleDocs!

Now for the drama. My two weeks were rudely interrupted when, at the start of my second week, illness struck. I tried to plough on through but ended up going home early for two days before I agreed that a day off was needed. But fear not dear readers! I returned to full health for the remainder of my internship and I've travelled far down that road to recovery.

So my summary of the last two weeks? 

It's been incredibly beneficial. Skeleton Productions appear top on Google Search Results and I've gone and got my name all over their blog pages! I've done a bit of networking, gained some good contacts, learnt a lot and hopefully, after some team participation in a bar quiz, an office move and an office party, managed to gain some friends for life.

So what now?

My latest challenge is to apply for a columnist position at my University magazine...I won't say too much - I'm keeping my ideas tip-top-secret until I've applied...

But something has occured to me over the past few weeks. If I don't go into journalism, marketing most certainly is an option now. But being a columnist is still my dream.

However, I've always said I wanted to write something meaningful - something with a purpose. But doesn't all writing have a purpose? Isn't writing that makes you smile just as important as writing that informs you? Just because a piece is light-hearted doesn't make it irrelevant.
Sometimes people just want a break. 
A bit of a laugh. 
So why shouldn't I just try to focus on writing that shares the smiles?

Watch This Space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment